Sunday, September 2, 2012

Musical Interludes

If anyone claims to know me, they know that I love music.

No, I don't think that you understand, I LOVE music! I love everything about it...I love the beats, the words, the way that a voice inflects the pain or the love that someone feels. I can listen to anything, from R&B to country...from gospel to heavy metal. If it has a beat, I'll listen. I post a lot of music on my Facebook wall when I'm in the mood. I had a friend that used to DJ with me until he got off of FB. That used to be so much fun because we used to try to top each other. Good times, good stuff...

Music is the soundtrack of my life. I can listen to a song & it brings back a memory...whether good or bad. I can tell you exactly what was going on at that moment in time. Sometimes it'll make me cry...I'm not talking about just in my heart, I'm talking about real tears...crocodile tears, if you will. Music has influenced my life just that much.

It could be it's because my dad was a DJ. It could be because my grandmother sang in the church choir. Whatever the reason is, music is & always will be my first love. (Well, before the birth of my daughter, but I digress...)

When I write, when I want peace, when I'm angry, when I'm in praise mode...I'm listening to music. It has given me clarity on situations in my life.

Right now, I'm listening to "No Happy Holidays" by Mary J. Blige. I can remember thinking that this song was my life at one point in time. It was so hard to listen to this song because I knew what I had to do. *sighs...*

Another song that brings tears to my eyes EVERY time I hear it is Jazmine Sullivan's "I'm In Love With Another Man". She sang that song so passionately that I cry to the point that my eyes are puffy. I've been there too. I probably could've had someone better but I was so stuck on one person that I let the other one pass me by because I thought that I wasn't good enough for the one that truly deserved my love.

(Shut up...I've made some bad decisions in my life...like you haven't!)

Now "I'm A Mess" by Anthony Hamilton is playing. That old school feel is so serious on this one. Not to mention it sounds a little like a gospel song too. I love this one!

I was told a few months to listen to Smokie Norful's "Run Till I Finish"...another one that makes me shed tears. The person that told me to listen to that has been through a lot, so when I hear it, he immediately comes to mind, & I thank God for His grace & mercy.

Beyonce's "Resentment"....the live version...for this line..."you could've told me, you weren't happy...I know you didn't wanna hurt me, but look what you done to me now. I've gotta look her in her eyes & see she's had half of me...SHE AIN'T EVEN HALF OF ME!!" (I've felt this pain...karma's a bitch people...)

I could go on & on with my love & passion for music. I'm a band geek (clarinet) & I love hearing a great vocalist because I was in the high school choir. If I have nothing, I have music. You want me to relax? Give me music. You want me to stop talking? Play a song. Hell even when I'm drunk I start to sing. (LMAO)

Music soothes the savage beast...& I can get in beast mode a lot...but as long as I have my playlists, I'll be soothed.

1 comment:

  1. I am really feeling this. I too am a MUSIC LOVER! When I'm bored, sad or happy...you can find me listening to, posting or downloading music from various sites such as Youtube and Spotify. You are so right when you said Music soothes the savage beast. I don't think I've ever been in beast mode, though. But, I LOVE MY MUSIC. Lately, I've been listening to a lot of Brand New Heavies with N'dea Davenport....no other lead vocalist can top her...IMHO! Hey like they say, MUSIC DOES MAKE THE WORLD GO ROUND, ESPECIALLY GREAT MUSIC!

    ReplyDelete