Monday, March 30, 2015

My "I'm Turning 40" Rant

I know, I know. It's been a while since I've written. Truth be known, I was going to wait until next week to write this, seeing that I'll be turning 40 then. I had some time to think about some things last night, but I didn't have my computer handy. 

I've been contemplating my life. I mean, I'm turning 40...40! I'm a bit excited about it too. I've got to admit, I've put myself through some unnecessary bullshit in my adult life. If I'm going to be honest about it (and we all know that I am), I've slept with the devil on MANY occasions. I knew better. I wanted to do better, but I felt that I COULDN'T do better. I settled for him, for his lies. He would whisper in my ears on a constant basis...telling me that I should just be happy for what I have, whether it was a job or a relationship. And, I hurt. Settling made me...hurt. I remember saying to myself that I should just deal with the hurt because this is my life. Then I remembered...

Proverbs 18:21 - "Death and life are in the power of the tongue"

(No, I'm not about to get all "holy" on y'all...I've got a point to prove though.)

So I started speaking LIFE into my LIFE. Slowly, but surely, my life started changing. I didn't drop as many tears. I began to laugh more. And that smile of mine has gotten HUGE. I removed the negative, added the positive, and watched the sun shine brightly on my life.

Let's get to the kid for a second. Y'all know how much that I love my Pumpkin. She's doing well at Prairie View. She's so freaking funny. If I need a laugh, I call her. She's got goals. She's let me know that she's going to get this degree. And you know what? Ma's going to make sure of that. She informed me that I have to keep going to get mine, and I am. No doubt about that. It's going to take me a minute, but I'm GOING to get it.

I'm in a good place in my life. I can look around and smile. I can pick my head up and see my future. Some days, that strut of mine is like I'm a model on a runway...and you can't tell me shit! Even those days where I don't have any makeup on, I feel great about myself. And if I don't love me, no one else will.

Now, that's not saying that I don't have bad days, because I do. I just approach them differently. I tell Pumpkin all of the time: either you can stand up or stay down. I don't have time to stay down. I've got goals to accomplish.

There are people in my life that have changed my outlook on things. Some have been there forever, some have just entered, and some have been a total surprise. The point is that in some way, shape, or form, they've had a positive impact on my life. I've been blessed with them. I'm thankful for them. They are my support system...my major players...and they are always in my prayers.

So, as I prepare to turn 40 on April 7th, I'm thankful....

I'm thankful that I gave birth at the age of 21, because this child of mine saved my life. Watching her I see what strength is. I'm in awe of her daily.

I'm thankful for my siblings, because, even though I'm the oldest, I look up to them. 

I'm thankful for my parents, because they have shown me what love is.

I'm thankful for my niece, because she shows me how to be humble.

I'm thankful for my crew, because they keep me laughing when I don't want to. (What do you call a deer with no eyes? I have NO eye-deer!!! LMAOOOO)

I'm thankful for my friends, near and far, because they have loved me through the years...and miles.

I'm thankful for every mistake that I've made, because I learned what not to do.

I'm thankful for the broken hearts, the abusive words...because it made me stronger and made me realize that I'm soooooo much better than that. 

Most of all, I'm thankful for God's grace and mercy. I'm not worthy. Not at all. I sin daily. Yet and still, He tells me "hey...watch this!" and constantly blesses me. 

Excuse me as I do this praise dance. At the age of 40, things are changing for me. I'm walking into my season, and I'm THANKFUL for every step of the way!!!

Come on 40...LET'S GO!!!!! 

(And did I mention that I look GOOD for 40????  Well, I DO!!!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment